This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

HIS BROKEN HEART

When he saw the crowds, he felt sorry for them because they were hurting and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.

Matthew 9:36

I can’t understand it. I honestly cannot. Why did Jesus [die on the cross]? Oh, I know, I know. I have heard the official answers. “To gratify the old law.” “To fulfill prophecy.” And these answers are right. They are. But there is something more here. Something very compassionate. Something yearning. Something personal.

What is it?

Could it be that his heart was broken for all the people who cast despairing eyes toward the dark heavens and cry the same “Why?” Could it be that his heart was broken for the hurting? …

I imagine him, bending close to those who hurt. I imagine him listening. I picture his eyes misting and a pierced hand brushing away a tear.… He who also was once alone, understands.

No Wonder They Call Him the Savior
[1]

Today's Scripture in Context

[1]Lucado, Max; Gibbs, Terri A.: Grace for the Moment: Inspirational Thoughts for Each Day of the Year. Nashville, Tenn.: J. Countryman, 2000, S. 119

No comments: