This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Thursday, May 01, 2008

DOING WHAT IS RIGHT

John 3:18-21
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust.

Jesus and Nicodemus

18 “There is no judgment against anyone who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God’s one and only Son. 19 And the judgment is based on this fact: God’s light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. 20 All who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed. 21 But those who do what is right come to the light so others can see that they are doing what God wants.”


My heart always races a little when I encounter that Highway Patrolman as I drive down the interstate. I see those blue lights and I jump. Speeding is not a major problem with me but sometimes I find myself over the posted limit. I hit my brakes to slow down even before I’ve checked to see how fast I was going. My wife always tells me, “Don’t brake.” Your taillights will advertise the fact that you were speeding and you’re trying to slow down. Blue lights on the police car. Red brake lights. These lights expose when I’m doing wrong. My heart quickly settles down however, when I find I was not speeding in the first place. I am no longer concerned about the blue lights when I am doing what is right.

“God’s light (Jesus) came into the world…” His light shines on the good and the evil alike. In Him we can’t hide our sin. Likewise, in Him our good is not hidden. It shines to draw the lost to Jesus. Let His light in you shine for all the world to see the good work He is doing through you.

No comments: