This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Monday, May 03, 2010

RELATIONSHIPS IN THE BODY OF CHRIST

Philemon 1:13-16
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust.

Paul’s Appeal for Onesimus

13 I wanted to keep him here with me while I am in these chains for preaching the Good News, and he would have helped me on your behalf. 14 But I didn’t want to do anything without your consent. I wanted you to help because you were willing, not because you were forced. 15 It seems you lost Onesimus for a little while so that you could have him back forever. 16 He is no longer like a slave to you. He is more than a slave, for he is a beloved brother, especially to me. Now he will mean much more to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord.

Read Paul’s brief letter to Onesimus on Philemon’s behalf: Philemon.

The Paul-Onesimus-Philemon relationships describe principles needed within the Body of Christ. Underlying all of these principles is Paul’s plea for this slave owner to treat his slave with human dignity and brotherly love. Having abandoned the slave mentality in our social order today, should we not in our leader-follower, employer-employee, spousal-parent-children relationships, rise to this same level of respect for our brothers and sisters (fellow human beings) in the Body of Christ.

No comments: