This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Thursday, August 28, 2008

IN JESUS NAME

John 14:8-14
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust.

Jesus, the Way to the Father

8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.”

9 Jesus replied, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don’t know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me. 11 Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do.

12 “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. 13 You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. 14 Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!


There is no separation between God’s name, His Word and His will. When we add ‘in Jesus name’ to the end of our prayers, should we automatically expect those prayers to answered in the affirmative? I believe that our prayers are answered affirmatively when they line up with God’s word and are submissive to His divine will. Let me give you an example.

I am a robber and I pray for forgiveness something like this:

“Lord, I robbed my neighbor. Forgive me and guard me from the consequences of my actions, in Jesus name, Amen.”

It is in God’s will, when we confess, for Him to forgive our sins but it is contrary to God’s Word to expect that the consequences will be removed. We shall reap what we sow. Adding, in Jesus name to this prayer does not obligate Jesus to do something contrary to God’s Word. Does saying this say that this scripture (John 14:8) is wrong? Absolutely not! This statement by Jesus must not be taken outside the context of the totality of God’s Word. His Word … His will … His name … cannot be separated.

No comments: