This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

THE WAY

John 14:1-7
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust.

Jesus, the Way to the Father

“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. 2 There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? 3 When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.”

5 “No, we don’t know, Lord,” Thomas said. “We have no idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. 7 If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is. From now on, you do know him and have seen him!”


During my college days, I joined a fraternity. We have a history all pledges are required to learn. We also have secrets only members should know … a handshake … code words that reveal membership to other members.

During the days of the early church, because of persecution, Christians used signs and code words to reveal themselves to believers of like faith. One of the signs was the fish, drawn in the sand. One half of the fish was drawn by the first person. If the other person completed the drawing, they felt comfortable to share their common faith.

They also used the code words, ‘The Way’. The source of these words are right here when Jesus says, “I am the way…”. I can hear conversations where statements like, “I know the way” or “ I follow the way” or “Do you know the way?” are casually inserted to inform those speaking of ones faith in Jesus Christ.

Most of us do not have to speak with code words to share our faith. We can openly declared our Christianity. We can boldly proclaim that we follow Jesus Christ. This freedom allows us many opportunities to share our faith with others.


Purpose in your heart to show someone ‘The Way’ today.

No comments: