This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Friday, May 15, 2009

CORE VALUES

Philippians 1:21-24
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust.

21 For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. 22 But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. 23 I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. 24 But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live.


From reading these verses we can see that Paul had struggled between two strong desires but settled in on his core value … living for Christ.

What are your lifelong goals? Freedom, self-respect, mature love, family security, true friendship, wisdom, equality, salvation …

What behavior do you pursue to achieve those goals? Being loving, independent, capable, broad-minded, honest, responsible, ambitious, forgiving, self-controlled, courageous …

Add your personal values to these lists. Once you have a list that you are comfortable with, start the struggle (like Paul). Rank each list … find if similar values rise to the top of each … write a short statement like Paul did which clearly expresses your core value.

You will be more effective in all areas of your life when you hold to a clearly understood core value.

No comments: