This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Friday, August 20, 2010

Plain Talk

1 Corinthians 2:1-5 (New Living Translation)

1 When I first came to you, dear brothers and sisters, I didn’t use lofty words and impressive wisdom to tell you God’s secret plan.2 For I decided that while I was with you I would forget everything except Jesus Christ, the one who was crucified. 3 I came to you in weakness—timid and trembling. 4 And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit. 5 I did this so you would trust not in human wisdom but in the power of God.

Each person called by God to share the Good News is still an individual. God has made each individual unique … different talents and spiritual gifts … different ways to say things … different abilities to comprehend things. That’s why if you skipped through your TV on Sunday morning you find varying styles of preachers, pastors and evangelists. Some respond better to Charles Stanley … some to Joyce Meyer … some to Tony Evans … some to T.D. Jakes. I am not here to judge which is better or worse.

The Apostle Paul, a very learned man, chose to keep his message and preaching very plain. He could have used clever or persuasive speech but chose not to. Rather he chose the plain, relying solely on the power of the Holy Spirit.

My prayer … You rather than me LORD! You LORD!

No comments: