This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Monday, July 14, 2008

THE LANGUAGE OF HATE

John 8:48-53
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust.

Jesus and Abraham

48 The people retorted, “You Samaritan devil! Didn’t we say all along that you were possessed by a demon?”

49 “No,” Jesus said, “I have no demon in me. For I honor my Father—and you dishonor me. 50 And though I have no wish to glorify myself, God is going to glorify me. He is the true judge. 51 I tell you the truth, anyone who obeys my teaching will never die!”

52 The people said, “Now we know you are possessed by a demon. Even Abraham and the prophets died, but you say, ‘Anyone who obeys my teaching will never die!’ 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?”


You may think because civil authorities have begun to classify certain crimes as hate crimes, that this type of behavior is something new and unique. Today’s passage again points out that there is nothing new under the sun.

When the crowd of people got worked up at Jesus’ rebuke, they resorted to racial slurs. “You Samaritan devil!” The Jews hated the Samaritans.

Why, when we get angry … when the debate does not go our way, do we resort to playing the race card? Race had nothing to do with the discussion these people were having with Jesus. Isn’t is interesting that just days before (John 7), the people had declared that they knew where Jesus came from and that they knew that the Messiah would not come from Galilee. Now some of what may have been the same crowd were labeling Jesus as a hated Samaritan. And remember, the demon-possession charge grew out of Jesus healing a man on the Sabbath day. How quickly the crowd sank to this low level of hate language!

As Christian believers, let us harness our tongues and never be guilty of the language of hate. Even in jest, racial jokes are hurtful and inappropriate for followers of Christ.

No comments: