This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

THE VOLUNTEER

John 10:17-21
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust.

The Good Shepherd and His Sheep

17 “The Father loves me because I sacrifice my life so I may take it back again. 18 No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what my Father has commanded.”

19 When he said these things, the people were again divided in their opinions about him. 20 Some said, “He’s demon possessed and out of his mind. Why listen to a man like that?” 21 Others said, “This doesn’t sound like a man possessed by a demon! Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?”


In my mind, I can imagine this conversation.

God the Father says, “I need a perfect sacrifice, an unblemished lamb … one that will satisfy the sin debt once and for all.”

Jesus speaks up and says, “I’ll go.”

God says, “I’m going to perform this sacrifice in a way never done before. I’ll raise the lamb from the dead.”

Jesus replies, “Fine by me.”

God says, “So be it.”

God expresses His will. Jesus volunteers. God commands it be as they discussed. No committee meetings … no debate … no argument … no vote. A simple conversation between the Father and The Son and the plan for the salvation of humankind is finished.

No comments: