This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

GIVING

Philippians 4:10-14
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust.

Paul’s Thanks for Their Gifts

10 How I praise the Lord that you are concerned about me again. I know you have always been concerned for me, but you didn’t have the chance to help me. 11 Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. 13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. 14 Even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty.

Giving to support the work of ministry has been a part of the church since it’s beginning in the 1st century. Paul praised the Lord for the willingness of the church at Philippi to give and for their concern for him. He let them know that he was content. He might have said, “You didn’t have to do it but I’m glad you did.” What he did say was “…you have done well…”

Many people give careful thought to their giving. Year-end giving (to take advantage of tax breaks) has become very important for many ministries and non-profits. In our broken economy, this year-end will be even more important for many ministries. It may mean the difference in continuing operation or not. Pray about your giving opportunities and I encourage you to ‘do well’!.

NOTE:
In my new role as pastor at Nazareth MB Church, leadership of a non-profit is included. The primary function of the Nazareth Church Community Ministry, Inc. is a day-care center offering affordable service to low income families. We depend on donations to supplement the fees these families pay to keep our doors open. If you feel led to support us through a one-time donation or monthly contribution, it may be sent to: NCCM, Inc., 611 Dixie Avenue, Mendenhall, MS 39114. As in the past, your support for the various projects I am involved in and requested your help (Kids Across America summer camp, Kairos Prison Ministry), is greatly appreciated. I have not dropped the previous projects. My list has just grown to add one more. Thank you for what you do, wherever God leads you to help!

No comments: