This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

MOTIVATION FOR GIVING

Philippians 4:15-20
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust.

Paul’s Thanks for Their Gifts

15 As you know, you Philippians were the only ones who gave me financial help when I first brought you the Good News and then traveled on from Macedonia. No other church did this. 16 Even when I was in Thessalonica you sent help more than once. 17 I don’t say this because I want a gift from you. Rather, I want you to receive a reward for your kindness.

18 At the moment I have all I need—and more! I am generously supplied with the gifts you sent me with Epaphroditus. They are a sweet-smelling sacrifice that is acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.

20 Now all glory to God our Father forever and ever! Amen.


In Genesis Chapter 4 we find the account of Cain’s offering to the Lord. His gift did not receive the favor of God.

Do you give God what’s left over? Is your giving grudgingly? Do you bring your offering to God only out of obligation? This kind of giving will never be “… a sweet-smelling sacrifice…” to the Lord.

Our giving finds favor with the Lord when we put Him first (give our first fruits – the tithe); when we give willingly; and when we give as an act of worship. It is in this context, giving that is pleasing to God, that Paul writes “…my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”

No comments: