This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Monday, April 27, 2009

PURPOSE AND PASSION

Philippians 3:7-9
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust.

The Priceless Value of Knowing Christ

7 I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. 8 Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ 9 and become one with him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith.


Paul was always passionate. Prior to his conversion on the Damascus Road, he was passionate about Judaism. When he met Jesus and was born again, the purpose in his life changed … he became brand new. All the old things he was passionate about went out with the trash. The passion for his new life in Jesus Christ replaced his old passion.

Paul accomplished many things after his conversion … things that will last for eternity. You have heard the lyric, “Only what you do for Christ will last.” How does your purpose compare to the purpose modeled by the life of the Apostle Paul? Are you focused on the one thing that will last?

How would you measure your passion? Are you willing to throw out the garbage and hold on to that one thing of greatest value … your life in Christ?

No comments: