This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

CHRISTMAS WITHOUT CHRIST ... NOT!


Dear brothers and sisters, when I first came to you I didn’t use lofty words and brilliant ideas to tell you God’s message. For I decided to concentrate only on Jesus Christ and his death on the cross. I came to you in weakness—timid and trembling. And my message and my preaching were very plain. I did not use wise and persuasive speeches, but the Holy Spirit was powerful among you. I did this so that you might trust the power of God rather than human wisdom.
 
1st Corinthians 2:1-5
 
Who are we if we allow the world to take Christ out of Christmas? In the name of political correctness, not being offensive to those who have different beliefs or come from different cultures, we abandon our tradition … our celebration … our faith. I am a strong advocate of respecting the rights, the beliefs, and the cultures of others. I just don’t believe as Christians, we have to give up our faith to do that. I do believe that the most loving, the most compassionate, the most honoring thing we can do for non-believers is to share our faith, not hide it.
 
Who are we if we take Christ out of Christmas? Are you ready to take Christ out of your name? ”…It was there at Antioch that the believers were first called Christians.” – Acts 11:26b. If we take Christ out of our name – Christian – who are we?
 
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments: