This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

REMEMBERING THE COVENANT


And God said, “I am giving you a sign as evidence of my eternal covenant with you and all living creatures. I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my permanent promise to you and to all the earth. When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will be seen in the clouds, and I will remember my covenant with you and with everything that lives. Never again will there be a flood that will destroy all life. When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.” Then God said to Noah, “Yes, this is the sign of my covenant with all the creatures of the earth.”

Genesis 9:12-17

This has been a year when we have seen natural disasters of phenomenal proportions. Tsunami and Katrina and the earthquakes in Pakistan and Iran have dominated our news and become staples in our conversation. Without denying the magnitude of the devastation, it doesn’t compare to the flood in the days of Noah. God has not gone back on His “eternal covenant”. He has not destroyed all life. The rainbow still appears in the clouds (I saw a rare morning rainbow one day last week).

While the covenant remains, our opportunity remains to love God with all our hearts and to love each other as we love ourselves. Our opportunity remains to share the gospel message … to tell the story of God with us, the hope of glory. Our opportunity remains to tell a lost world about the birth of a baby in a manger, about the heavenly host who heralded His coming, about the star that shone in the sky. Our opportunity remains to tell everyone we meet the Jesus story. As God has been faithful to His eternal covenant, we should be faithful to tell the His story.

No comments: