This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Thursday, December 29, 2005

FINISH THE RACE


As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness that the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that great day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his glorious return.
 
2nd Timothy 4:6-8
 
The longer the race, the more difficult the finish.
 
Many long years ago, I ran track in high school. We had to practice long and hard in preparation for race day. Our coach pushed us and pushed us and when we didn’t think we could take it any more, he pushed us some more. Practice was always more difficult than the track meet itself. Coach knew that those hard practices would pay off. If you ran in the sprints, you had to be prepared to run your race multiple times; the middle distances maybe only a couple heats; and the long distance runners a single race. I found that even with hard practice, finishing well in the longer races was always more difficult.
 
The Christian’s life is like a marathon. We don’t know the length of our service for Christ, but we should prepare to run the race all the way and finish well. Daily practice (Bible study, meditation, praise and prayer) will enable you to proclaim like the Apostle Paul, “I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.”
 
Prepare yourself for a gold medal finish!

No comments: