This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

IT WAS IN THE CUP

John 18:10-11
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust.

The Arrest and Betrayal of Jesus

10 Then Simon Peter drew a sword and slashed off the right ear of Malchus, the high priest’s slave. 11 But Jesus said to Peter, “Put your sword back into its sheath. Shall I not drink from the cup of suffering the Father has given me?”


Peter was ready for a fight. He would put his own life on the line for Jesus. This was not God’s plan. This was not God’s way. Jesus was to drink the ‘cup of suffering’ but no one around Him was to suffer. Not even those arresting Him.

What was so special about this ‘cup of suffering’? When Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane, He said, “…if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.” – (Matthew 26:39).

The Savior had come to take away the sin of the world. Jesus came to pay the price for your sin … my sin … the sin of whosoever would accept the free gift of salvation. The ‘cup of suffering’ is all that sin. “Shall I not drink from the cup of suffering the Father has given me?”

In exchange, you and I receive grace.

No comments: