This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

JESUS SAID ALL

John 14:22-26
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust.

Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit

22 Judas (not Judas Iscariot, but the other disciple with that name) said to him, “Lord, why are you going to reveal yourself only to us and not to the world at large?”

23 Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them. 24 Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own. What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me. 25 I am telling you these things now while I am still with you. 26 But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.


While he had the same name, this Judas was not the betrayer. He was still seeking the truth. He was still trying to understand the teaching that Jesus was laying on His disciples.

In this brief interchange between Jesus and Judas, we can see something about his character. He was not self-centered. Judas wanted the world to know Jesus, not just his little, small group. Judas understood their mission was not just to be about “…us…”. His heart was focused on the “…world at large…”.

I love the inclusiveness of Jesus’ response. “All who love me … My Father will love them … we will come and make our home with each of them.” The love of the Father, the saving grace of the Son, the aid of the Holy Spirit is available to “All…”, not just to any small group. Here (and everywhere else in scripture) we find that the gospel message is open to all. Nowhere do we find in scripture that God’s love is restricted by nationality, race, creed, culture, gender, party or any other grouping we want to create. We only find that kind of thinking in the world.

Jesus said “All…”

No comments: