This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

KEEP WATCH

Stop loving this evil world and all that it offers you, for when you love the world, you show that you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only the lust for physical pleasure, the lust for everything we see, and pride in our possessions. These are not from the Father. They are from this evil world. And this world is fading away, along with everything it craves. But if you do the will of God, you will live forever.
 
1st John 2:15-17
 
I woke up this morning with an irritation in my left eye. As hard as I tried, I could not find anything in the eye. I flushed it, over and over. I even had my wife look. She could not see anything there but I knew. I could feel the irritation. It took a trip to the ophthalmologist to find a tiny hair imbedded in the tissue of the eye. My eye is still irritated and very sensitive to light. (Note: This is why today’s Gospel Pearl is soooo late.)
 
God calls us to watch out for what we allow to control our senses. These senses, these windows to the body, are to be carefully guarded. The evils of the world will try to invade the temple of the Holy Spirit by way of our senses. What do we let come in through our eyes … the TV shows and movies we watch; the emails we read; the websites we surf; the catalogs we browse and greed through? What do we let come in through our ears … the music we listen to; the talk shows; the gossip on the telephone? What do we let come in through our mouth … the drink; the smoke; the drug?
 
My struggle today with my sight, this wonderful gift from God, reminds me that we should guard closely how we use His precious gifts. Keep watch and give God the glory!

No comments: