This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Wrong View of Suffering and Tragedy

Five different times the Jews gave me thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. I have traveled many weary miles. I have faced danger from flooded rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the stormy seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be Christians but are not. I have lived with weariness and pain and sleepless nights. Often I have been hungry and thirsty and have gone without food. Often I have shivered with cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm…. So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may work through me. Since I know it is all for Christ’s good, I am quite content with my weaknesses and with insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

1st Corinthians 11:24-27; 12:9-10

A question that we all probably have asked … Why do bad things happen to good people? When tragedy strikes, we just don’t understand. We may never get a full understanding but we can come into the knowledge that God is sovereign and God has a plan. The Apostle Paul got to that point. He understood that his suffering was for the purpose of the furtherance of Christ.

When trails and sufferings come, hold on to the confidence that God will use your faith in the trial for the good of the Kingdom. Trust that God is with you, keeping His promise to never leave you or forsake you. At your weakest moment, depend on the power of Christ (He has already won the victory) to carry you.

No comments: