This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

THE MATURITY SCALE

You have been Christians a long time now, and you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things a beginner must learn about the Scriptures. You are like babies who drink only milk and cannot eat solid food. And a person who is living on milk isn’t very far along in the Christian life and doesn’t know much about doing what is right. Solid food is for those who are mature, who have trained themselves to recognize the difference between right and wrong and then do what is right.
 
Hebrews 5:12-14
 
As I make a personal inspection of where I am on the Christian maturity scale, there are two things I know for sure. First, looking back on my life I am confident that I have moved beyond milk. The second thing I am sure of is that I have not reached the maturity level which Oswald Chamber’s calls being “so totally surrendered to God that we are not even aware of being used by Him.”
 
Our goal, as saints, should be to be so totally committed, so totally surrendered, so totally dependant on God that when He is using us, it is not by our well thought out plan but rather by the Spirit-filled life we unconsciously live day after day. The more time we spend communing with God, through worship, prayer, study, devotion, meditation and praise, the more we will become available for unconscious service.

No comments: