This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

THE SHALLOW THINGS

“A student is not greater than the teacher. A servant is not greater than the master. The student shares the teacher’s fate. The servant shares the master’s fate. And since I, the master of the household, have been called the prince of demons, how much more will it happen to you, the members of the household! But don’t be afraid of those who threaten you. For the time is coming when everything will be revealed; all that is secret will be made public.
 
Matthew 10:24-26
 
Oswald Chambers’ challenges us today regarding the shallow things vs. the profound things. John the Baptist said, “…after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry…” – Matthew 3:11. You can’t get much shallower than that.
 
Does our pride get in the way when menial tasks, shallow things, are required to carry out God’s plan? I can lead the song service but when it’s time to clean up after the meal, it’s time for me to get to the next thing on my important schedule. I can teach the lesson but where am I when it’s time to take out the trash? I know the Roman Road, I can lead a person through the plan of salvation, but when it comes to arranging the tables and chairs, someone else can do that.
 
Are we too proud for the shallow things or is our testimony, “I would be honored to carry the Master’s sandals”?

No comments: