This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

SELF SURRENDER

Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I may have Christ and become one with him. I no longer count on my own goodness or my ability to obey God’s law, but I trust Christ to save me. For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith. As a result, I can really know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I can learn what it means to suffer with him, sharing in his death, so that, somehow, I can experience the resurrection from the dead!

Philippians 4:8-11

TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL LINK

My Utmost for His Highest - 07/11/06

The Apostle Paul not only gave up putting value in material possessions, he reassessed the value of his own abilities. As a Pharisee, Paul had worked hard to become recognized as a leader in the temple and a strict follower of the Old Testament Law. As a follower of Christ, he surrendered all his confidence in self and placed his faith in Christ.

Surrendering things … our stuff … our toys … is tough. Self surrender is even more difficult. I don’t think Paul is saying have a huge garage sale and get rid of our favorite things. He is saying don’t let those things have first place in your value system. Likewise, self surrender takes you off the throne in your life so that your can enthrone the One who is worthy of that position … the One who died for your salvation, Jesus Christ!

No comments: