This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

IMPORTANCE OF HISTORY

Joel 1:1-3
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust.

1 The Lord gave this message to Joel son of Pethuel.

2 Hear this, you leaders of the people.
Listen, all who live in the land.
In all your history,
has anything like this happened before?
3 Tell your children about it in the years to come,
and let your children tell their children.
Pass the story down from generation to generation.

God told Joel to instruct the leaders of the people to pay attention to their history and pass it on to their children. I was a history buff in school. I’m glad God endorses the practice of teaching history.

We learn from our history and that can help us avoid making the same mistakes over and over. History can also help us set direction for the future. It is said you won’t know where you’re going if you don’t know where you’ve been. What does history and faith have to do with each other? Let me answer that with the words from an old Negro spiritual.

Gim-me dat ole time religion, Gim-me dat ole time religion,
Gim-me dat ole time religion, it’s good enough for me.

Makes me love ev’rybody, Makes me love ev’rybody,
Makes me love ev’rybody, it’s good enough for me.

‘Nuff said!

No comments: