This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

HONEY

Again I say, don’t get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights. The Lord’s servants must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone. They must be able to teach effectively and be patient with difficult people. They should gently teach those who oppose the truth. Perhaps God will change those people’s hearts, and they will believe the truth. Then they will come to their senses and escape from the Devil’s trap. For they have been held captive by him to do whatever he wants.
 
2nd Timothy 2:23-26
 
I have probably shared my grandmother’s quote with you before. I think it is worth revisiting from time to time. She sure did.
 
“You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.”
 
I quickly admit that there are times when sharp words or a rough tone of voice are required. I (and my grandmother) contend with the Apostle Paul that the more effective approach is to “…gently teach…” Your arguments are much more likely to help someone to “…come to their senses…” and have a change of heart if that argument is delivered in a non-quarrelsome manner.
 
Use more honey. Save the vinegar for only when it is an absolute necessity.

No comments: