This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

PERSONALIZING SCRIPTURE

This letter is from Paul, Jesus Christ’s slave, chosen by God to be an apostle and sent out to preach his Good News. This Good News was promised long ago by God through his prophets in the holy Scriptures. It is the Good News about his Son, Jesus, who came as a man, born into King David’s royal family line. And Jesus Christ our Lord was shown to be the Son of God when God powerfully raised him from the dead by means of the Holy Spirit. Through Christ, God has given us the privilege and authority to tell Gentiles everywhere what God has done for them, so that they will believe and obey him, bringing glory to his name.
 
Romans 1:1-5
 
There are some passages of scripture, as God speaks to your spirit, which are appropriate for personalization. Take a verse like John 3:16 and make the pronouns speak about you.
 
‘For God so loved me that He gave me His only begotten Son, that if I believe in Him, I will not perish but I will have eternal life.’
 
How might you make Paul’s introduction to the Book of Romans (vs. 1 & 5) personal to you?
 
‘I, ______________ (insert your name), a servant of Jesus Christ, have been chosen by God to witness for Him and tell others about His Good News. Through my personal relationship with Jesus Christ, God has given me the privilege and authority to tell everyone I know what God has done for me. What He has done for me, He has also done for them, so that they will believe and obey Him, bringing glory to His name.’
 
Are you at a place in your relationship with Christ that you can say this verse like this and really mean it? Pray for God to give you the power, the strength, the courage to make this passage personal and a reality. It starts with the Good News (vs. 2-4) being your claim to redemption.

No comments: