This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE

“‘Who are you, sir?’ I asked.”
 
And the Lord replied, ‘I am Jesus, the one you are persecuting. Now stand up! For I have appeared to you to appoint you as my servant and my witness. You are to tell the world about this experience and about other times I will appear to you. And I will protect you from both your own people and the Gentiles. Yes, I am going to send you to the Gentiles, to open their eyes so they may turn from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God. Then they will receive forgiveness for their sins and be given a place among God’s people, who are set apart by faith in me.’
 
Acts 26:15-18
 
In the language of the Bible, a person was either a Jew or a Gentile. Yes, there were other classifications but this was the bottom line distinction. A person was either part of Israel (a Jew, the circumcised, one of God’s chosen) or not (a Gentile, the uncircumcised, a heathen).
 
When Jesus spoke to Saul (later renamed Paul, the great missionary) on the Damascus Road, He made it clear that his witness would be to the world. As Paul spoke to his own people (Jews) and the Gentiles, he would be provided protection. He emphasized Paul’s ministry to the Gentile but also made it clear that “God’s people” are those “who are set apart by faith in me” (Jesus).
 
God’s gift of grace is available to everyone who will receive it and place their faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. As it was Paul’s, this too should be our witness to the world.

No comments: