This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

THE ZEALOT

You know what I was like when I followed the Jewish religion—how I violently persecuted the Christians. I did my best to get rid of them. I was one of the most religious Jews of my own age, and I tried as hard as possible to follow all the old traditions of my religion. But then something happened! For it pleased God in his kindness to choose me and call me, even before I was born! What undeserved mercy! Then he revealed his Son to me so that I could proclaim the Good News about Jesus to the Gentiles.
 
Galatians 1:13-16a
 
Before God “revealed His Son” to Paul, He already had given Paul the nature of a zealot. Don’t take that word wrong. The dictionary says that a zealot is one who has an eager desire (zeal) or gives a great effort. Society has placed negative connotations on the word zealot but I believe God wants us to have zeal for Him.
 
Saul (his name when he was a zealot for Judaism) tried as hard as possible” to be a good Jew. When God “revealed His Son” Jesus to Saul and changed his name to Paul, he continued, with great effort, to “proclaim the Good News about Jesus to the Gentiles.” Yes, Paul had the nature of a zealot as a Jew and that continued as a Christian.
 
What nature had God given you and how are you using that God-given nature for Kingdom building?

No comments: