This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

THERE IS A COST

“I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, I will spit you out of my mouth! You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’ And you don’t realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. I advise you to buy gold from me—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. And also buy white garments so you will not be shamed by your nakedness. And buy ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see. I am the one who corrects and disciplines everyone I love. Be diligent and turn from your indifference.
 
Revelation 3:15-19
 
The church at Laodicea is known as the lukewarm church that Christ rebuked in Revelation. Jesus exhorted them to be on fire for God rather than middle of the road, fence-sitters. Within that rebuke Jesus tells them to buy three things; “…gold…white garments…ointment…”
 
  1. The gold was purified by fire. The cost of being a disciple is that you will have to turn from your attachment to dirty money.

  2. The garments are white which also indicates purity. You will have to reject all immorality.

  3. Who would ever knowingly put an ointment in their eyes that would blind them? You must see the needs of a lost world, count the cost and not be indifferent.
 
Salvation is free. Jesus paid that cost at Calvary. There is a cost however in being a disciple, a follower of Christ.

No comments: