This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

RESPECT YOUR ELDERS

Show your fear of God by standing up in the presence of elderly people and showing respect for the aged. I am the LORD.

Leviticus 19:32

TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL LINK

Our Daily Bread - 11/22/06

One of the lessons my parents taught me early in life was this – respect your elders. This meant not butting in grown folk’s conversations, giving up your seat when an elderly person needed it or saying “Yes ma’am” and “Yes sir”. This also meant loving your grandparents, sitting and listening to their stories even when all you wanted to do was get outside, run and play. I am thankful for these lessons my parents taught me.

God has opened a new door for me after years of working with young adults and youth. This new opportunity will regularly bring me in contact with the elderly. The past few years of caring for my mother before her passing have brought a new emphasis on the importance of God’s command to have “respect for the aged.” May all the lessons He has taught me keep me with a heart of compassion, understanding and love.

Think about it. Did you learn the lesson of respecting your elders? How are you living this out in your life and most important … are you teaching this lesson to this generation of children?

No comments: