This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

WINTER WONDER


Sing to the LORD, all you godly ones! Praise his holy name. His anger lasts for a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may go on all night, but joy comes with the morning… “Hear me, LORD, and have mercy on me. Help me, O LORD.” You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, that I might sing praises to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever!

Psalm 30:4-5, 10-12

TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL LINK

Our Daily Bread - 11/29/06

I know some of you don’t enjoy the winter. Sometimes there are long stretches of cold days. The days are shorter … the sun hides for the evening earlier and earlier. And then there is snow … cold and wet … and dangerous if you don’t know how to get around in it. Winter can be for some like days of mourning.

Having grown up where winters are very severe, I guess I got used to the conditions. Cold temperatures, snow and ice were no big deal. If fact, winter days came to represent some of my favorites days of the year. They meant snowball fights with my buddies, ice skating on frozen ponds and the beauty of the sunrise on a fresh blanket of snow. The nights revealed the beauty of houses decorated and lit up with Christmas lights. For me, winter is a season filled with joy.

If you are one of those who don’t enjoy the winter, know that it doesn’t last forever. It won’t be long and spring will break forth. Whether you prefer winter or spring, summer or fall… you can praise God … the One who fashioned them all.

No comments: