This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Friday, June 16, 2006

THE BLESSING OF FATHERHOOD

Listen to your father, who gave you life, and don’t despise your mother’s experience when she is old. Get the truth and don’t ever sell it; also get wisdom, discipline, and discernment. The father of godly children has cause for joy. What a pleasure it is to have wise children. So give your parents joy! May she who gave you birth be happy.

Proverbs 23:22-25

TODAY’S DEVO LINK

Youth for Christ - 06/16/06

My experiences as a father have been far from perfect. I made a lot of mistakes. I praise God that in spite of me, I have five kids who turned out great. Three of them are off to a great start as parents themselves, having blessed me with four grandchildren. They are successful in their chosen professions or are continuing to better themselves through educational opportunities. They have goals and are making choices with those targets in focus.

I love my children and thank God for the relationship I have with each of them. Taken all together, these relationships are better today than they have ever been at any time in the past. I hope they would agree with that assessment.

I can’t speak about the blessing of fatherhood without mentioning my Dad. He is 92 years old now and requires a lot of care these days. He would still like to be doing things like he did when he was 50 but that season in his life is gone forever. He is still being a great Dad, doing as much and as good as he can.

Arneida, Areshia, Jabari, Tracy, Michael  … I love you!

Nino, Kylon, Asia, Jahari … what joy you give!

Carolyn and Curtis … you are special!

Dad … Happy Father’s Day!

No comments: