This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

INTERCESSORY PRAYER

“I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me because of their testimony. My prayer for all of them is that they will be one, just as you and I are one, Father—that just as you are in me and I am in you, so they will be in us, and the world will believe you sent me.”
 
John 17:20-21
 
TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL LINK
 
My Utmost for His Highest - 06/20/06
 
An intercessor is one whose prayer life is focused on the needs, the circumstances in the lives of others. When Jesus had come to the end of His earthly ministry and was facing the Cross, it is interesting to note that His prayer was primarily intercessory. We know that the verse numbers were not part of the prayer (they are there for our aid in finding passages). Jesus spent five verses praying for himself and twenty-one verses praying for others (John 17).
 
It is OK to pray for your needs and situations. God wants to talk with you about your life … your needs … your circumstances. However, if Jesus prayer is our example (and it is), God clearly wants us to be less self-centered and give more attention to the needs of others.
 
Inspection time ... Is your prayer life ‘me’ oriented or focused on the needs of others? Does your prayer time approach the five-to-one ratio like Jesus prayed? An intercessory prayer warrior spends his or her prayer time bringing the needs of others before the throne of grace.

No comments: