This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Monday, June 19, 2006

WHEN I SEE A RAINBOW


For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.

Matthew 25:35-36

TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL LINK

Upper Room - 06/19/06

God placed His rainbow in the sky to remind us of His promise to never destroy the earth again by flood. That is a wonderful assurance but when I see a rainbow it reminds me of something else. It reminds me of Jesus’ instruction to us to share God’s love with those most in need.

This memory comes to me because of a scene I never want to forget. It is the end of a women’s Kairos Prison Ministry weekend. The ladies are being moved from one building to another for the closing ceremony. As they walk across the prison yard (behind the chain link fences with the razor wire on top, under the watchful eye of the armed security guards in the towers) they looked up in the sky and saw a rainbow. They rejoiced … they exclaimed … they praised God … they cried. They had experienced God love in a very personal way and He was giving them a reminder of the promise of His presence, even in the prison yard.

God loves us so much that even the worst of our sin can not block out the abundance of His grace. Jesus has paid our sin debt with His blood!

No comments: