This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Thursday, March 09, 2006

FEAR NOT

But now, O Israel, the LORD who created you says: “Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

Isaiah 43:1-3a

Is there something going on in your life about which you are anxious? All of us go through things in this life … a loved one who is ill … a relationship which is not what we or God would want it to be … a financial crisis … a new opportunity which looks wonderful but has no guarantees. To these God says ‘Fear Not’.

The prophet Isaiah spoke these words of encouragement to Israel. The hymn poet, Jodi Page Clark, took these words and put the into a praise melody:

Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name.
I have called you by name; you are mine.

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And through rivers, they will not overwhelm you.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned;
The flames will not consume you.

Because you are precious and I love you;
You whom I formed for my glory.
You whom I call called by my name;
I will gather together.

The rivers that flow in the desert
Give drink to my chosen people;
To quench their thirst and to strengthen them,
That they might show forth my praise.

Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name.
I have called you by name; you are mine.

Let these words of praise encourage you!

No comments: