This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Thursday, March 02, 2006

STRUGGLING WITH SIN

It seems to be a fact of life that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God’s law with all my heart. But there is another law at work within me that is at war with my mind. This law wins the fight and makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.
 
Romans 7:21-25
 
These words close the seventh Chapter of Paul’s epistle to the Romans. I am so glad that they are not the end of the story. There is the hint that there is more to come. “Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord.”
 
Having described the struggle he has with ‘the life in the flesh’, Paul turns the page a gives us the picture of living ‘the life in the Spirit’.
 
So, dear brothers and sisters, you have no obligation whatsoever to do what your sinful nature urges you to do. For if you keep on following it, you will perish. But if through the power of the Holy Spirit you turn from it and its evil deeds, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God (Romans 8:12-14).
 
Read Romans 7:7 - 8:39 for the full blessing of this thought.

No comments: