This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Monday, March 06, 2006

TO VISIT WITH A PURPOSE

Then the King will say to those on the right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’
 
Matthew 25:34-36
 
For every good action which the King recalls, a specific need is identified and met. The hungry were fed … the thirsty were given a drink … the stranger was provided shelter … the naked were given clothing … the sick were provided medical care.
 
What about the prisoner? What is the need and how is it met?
 
When I first met the young man, he was skeptical. He was very reserved and yet I could detect the searching in his eyes. He was checking me out. I have learned from many years of prison ministry that this is not uncommon. The incarcerated have been visited and forgotten so many times in the past. They want to know if this is just another visit without any substance.
 
I believe the King is recalling a visit with a purpose. Clothing, food and medical care are provided by the state. What the prisoner needs is to see the love of the King. What the prisoner needs to experience is God’s love in action. What the prisoner needs is the community of faith to bring the gospel message of salvation and to live that message of love with them on a consistent basis.
 
I believe the King is recalling more than just a once a year visit (and now that’s checked off my list). He is recalling a visit with a purpose … the sharing of the love of Jesus Christ in a very real way … a way that overcomes the prisoner’s skepticism, doubt, fear, bitterness, loneliness or self hate.
 
Please pray for the men and women who God is calling to this spring’s series of four Mississippi Kairos Prison Ministry weekends between now and the end of April. 168 residents will be visited with a purpose. Pray for the team members, through the power of the Holy Spirit, to live up to that purpose.

No comments: