This Week's Praise

"Betelehemu" by Morehouse College Glee Club

Thursday, September 07, 2006

RESPONDING TO GOD'S LOVE

Those who obey my commandments are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them, and I will love them. And I will reveal myself to each one of them… All those who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and live with them. Anyone who doesn’t love me will not do what I say. And remember, my words are not my own. This message is from the Father who sent me.

John 14:21, 23-24

TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL LINK

InTouch Ministries - 09/07/06

God has demonstrated His love for us in that while we were still living in sin, He provided the sacrifice necessary for our sin debt to be paid in full. He sent His Son Jesus Christ to die on Calvary’s Cross. How does Jesus describe our loving response to God’s love? It is wrapped up in a word we don’t like very much … obedience. “Those who obey my commandments are the ones who love me.” You cannot live a lifestyle which is contrary to God’s Word and love God at the same time.

Society must not have been very different in Jesus day than it is now. Those who speak the truth are often labeled as being out of step with the ways of the world. I can see someone telling Jesus, in response to His statement, that all those commandments are out of style. Maybe that’s why He told them don’t shoot the Messenger, “…my words are not my own. This message is from the Father who sent me.”

Obedience is the response to God’s love!    

No comments: